Call Today (847) 220-5197
Law Office of Michael T. Smith
Northern Illinois Employment Law Firm

What Are Prerequisite Administrative Filings?

Many employees who come to the Law Office of Michael T. Smith do not realize that they must file an administrative complaint before bringing an employment discrimination lawsuit against their employer in court. Depending on the type of violation, you may need to file a claim with either the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or the Illinois Department of Human Rights. For federal employees, a separate federal EEO complaint process applies.

Protecting Your Administrative Employment Rights

Each of the above agencies will investigate your allegations and issue findings and results in a written report. However, their procedures are not identical. They have different limitations periods, investigatory processes, and settlement procedures. The Law Office of Michael T. Smith understands the procedural requirements of filing discrimination charges with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Illinois Department of Human Rights. If you do not understand the important differences between these two administrative procedures, you could jeopardize your claim.

Tailoring Our Advocacy To Your Unique Needs

Whether we are fighting for you in court or representing you in an administrative proceeding, your best outcome remains our bottom line. That may not always mean taking a case to court. After assessing the litigation strengths of your claim, we may recommend a different course of action. It may be possible to negotiate a settlement on your behalf, even while a claim is in the administrative stage. If you are still employed, it may also be possible to work with your human resources department. The Law Office of Michael T. Smith tailors its comprehensive employment law services to your unique needs.

Set Up A Consultation For Free

Employment law issues require careful attention to administrative and court procedures. Attorney Michael T. Smith has helped hundreds of employees bring claims before the IDHR, EEOC and EEO. If you are experiencing discriminatory treatment in the workplace, call 847-220-5197 for a free initial consultation. You can also use our online contact form.

Discover Your Rights In A Free Initial Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy